Friday 13 March 2015

Sweet Charity

ADVERTISEMENT.

THIS POST CONTAINS A REQUEST FOR MONEY!

Well, charity begins at home, isn't that what they say? (I can hear my mother's voice.)

You must look after Number 1 (a favourite of my Dad's.)

I look back over my life and theirs, and can understand where they were coming from.

But that doesn't help when you have to decide whether or not to give your spare change to the abject woman, rent-a-baby on hips, standing in your way, or the man probably surgically mutilated in infancy so he would be able to earn a living as a beggar. No matter that his limbs would be so incredibly twisted into such improbable angles that he would for ever have to shunt along the ground like a crab, or have to rely for mobility on a plank of wood on casters.

And then there are those making a dishonest living befriending the unwary, spinning a plausible story in the name of bogus funeral expenses, orphaned children, slum school projects, victims of violent crime, victims of theft, and then demanding a hefty sum. The argument that I support official charities of my choice in the UK simply doesn't hold water, and time and again I've been had.

And then about five weeks ago I opened an email from my son Franc, asking for sponsorship. Oh no. Not again. But I was struck by his "worthy cause", and quick off the mark as a Midnight Scrambler, found that I'd hit the big button under the alter ego of my eBay trading name...

WARNING. If you want to avoid being asked to "chip in", DO NOT OPEN =>this link.

Franc, btw, is second on the left in this sibshot.





No comments:

Post a Comment